Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Venture Concept No. 1

Opportunity: My opportunity is late night healthy food near campus and the students of UF have the need. There is a need for a healthy food option in midtown because the only things open late night are not great for you and could be considered "drunk food."
There is definitely a trend to eat healthy currently happening and so this has led way for the opportunity to open a late night healthy food cafe.
My target market is UF students so anyone who lives close to UF campus. We will mostly have young college aged students in but definitely a diverse crowd.
I think people are having to satisfying their need for healthy food by eating at home. Although it is cheaper to eat at home, it is way less convenient than grabbing something already made.
The opportunity to bring healthy food near UF campus is pretty big because there are so few options available, but I do think that people are already starting to catch onto that and offer healthy food, for example Grill Fresh just opened in Midtown.
My product is a smoothie and salad cafe made with only organic ingredients. We will make money by selling our smoothies and salads at an affordable price of $4.99.
My cafe will solve the problems of my consumers because they will be able to pick up healthy food at an affordable price and not have to go far off campus to do it. We will also be open until 3 am in hopes of offering an alternative to pizza and burgers for the people leaving the library or bars late at night.
I think people will switch to the cafe because it will be so convenient to campus, affordable, and high quality food. I don't think it will be hard for customers to switch because people generally prefer a smoothie with no added sugar because they are usually drinking a smoothie as a healthy alternative.
My competitors would be Planet Smoothie, Designer Greens, and Grill Fresh. Our price makes our product stand out because typically healthy food is expensive so college students will not eat it, but we are going to offer high quality healthy food for an extremely low price. Our location is the best part of my venture because it will be so convenient to the students at UF and will bring a lot of late night customers in.
I would only hire about 3 employees as we started off the business and do a lot of the work myself to save money for a while. We will have me operating as the manager, and 3 food prepping employees.

Competitors cannot compete with us because we use all organic products and do not add any sweetener to our smoothies.
The next step in our venture is adding more items to our menu like sandwiches and soups.
In five years I want to be further removed from the project, as in have hired a manager and be opening other locations.

4 comments:

  1. I think you have a great idea since like you said there are no places open later at night that serve healthy food. I personally want greasy food at night but there are definitely people who want a healthy alternative at night. I think maybe offering a delivery service would definitely add to the success of the business as well as maybe a website or an app where they can order food ahead of time and pick it up in the store or have it delivered. Here’s a link to my blog if you would like to check it out.
    http://nkent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I love your idea. I would absolutely go to your business. However, I think if you really want to be unique and compete with your competitors you need something to make you stand out. I think you could offer products like whole wheat sandwiches or pizzas, also maybe even expanding into gluten free/vegan/vegetarian. Overall I think you have the right idea for your business you should just make yourself more unique from the competition. Check out my blog http://carolinemurray4343.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie,

    I think there is a good market for your product. In many other cities, I don't know that it would work. However, Gainesville seems like a prime location for such a business. I agree with Nick about the app. If I was going to be purchasing food like this, the convenience of ordering ahead would be marvelous. Great job! Here is a link to my blog if you're interested: http://ryangoodsonent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Katie! Great job on this assignment!
    I absolutely love your idea. I cannot count how many times I've stayed up until 2 or 3 am doing HW or playing League of Legends with my friends and we got hungry. Whenever that happened, we had pretty much 2 options. Steak and Shake or Steak and Shake. Even though their food is very good, it is not the best idea to eat such unhealthy meals at that time of the night.There are a lot of people here in UF that think the same way as me, so you have a lot of room to grow and make your business thrive. I really wish you would carry on with it and have it established before I graduate. If you are ever bored, you can check out my post at http://gcwindow.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no-1.html
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete