The most informative assignment was the very short interviews. I will always be a firm believer in mentors because they are so much older and wiser than you. Learning from someone who has already done it and knows the hard parts, the fun parts, and the tricks to it all, was an incredible experience. I left both my meetings with Morgan so inspired. The experience i'll remember years later will be the free money experiment because it was so uncomfortable to do and the guy eating a donut in my video was so funny. I think he was trying to be super funny but I loved him. My most joyous experience was when we got to research the world's biggest problems and find solutions to them because this is where my passion lyes. I love serving in third world countries and it was so fun to write about what i've learned in Haiti. My most proud moment was when I finished recording a video, I would always feel so proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone.
I'm not quite sure I see myself as an entrepreneur yet. I think I understand entrepreneurship way more, but i'm not sure i'll ever have the passion to be one myself. I have definitely learned about and moved toward an entrepreneurial mindset through all of the assignments. They challenged the way I thought about the world around me, business opportunities, my frustrations, and money.
The best recommendation I could make to next semester's students would be to make a list of things they are passionate about and create a venture based on something on that list. If you don't love your venture and don't believe in it than the course work will feel more like a chore. To be more successful in this class, students should plan far in advance and not wait until the day of to do the assignments because sometimes they will be longer and more tedious than you expect and you don't want to lose simple points. Do ones with recordings a couple days before the deadline so you have ample time to find people to do it. I think the best thing they can do to foster that mindset is to put on this facade that THEY ARE an entrepreneur and really try to believe it for their duration in this course.
Katie I could relate to your post on all levels. Interviewing strangers was so awkward but worth it at the end for the laughs I shared with the person and the confidence I gained from it. Mentors were also key in helping us see successful business venture in real life- essentially the "product" of an entrepreneurial mindset. Your answer at the end about whether or not you feel like an entrepreneur now was very honest. Not everyone taking the course can see themselves as a future entrepreneur though we all have the hard work ethic to be successful in our own way in the future. If you want to read my post, here's the link: http://ent3003anneperry.blogspot.com.es/2016/04/final-reflection.html
ReplyDeleteHi Katie,
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree with you any more. Everything you said is exactly how I felt about this class. It was FOR SURE disciplining for me, in that it took me out of my comfort zone multiple times. From interviews to those dreaded elevator pitches, I definitely feel more confident as an entrepreneur and as a person overall. I wish you the best and thanks for the read!
Please see my post here:
http://sadokh.blogspot.com/2016/04/final-reflection.html
Thanks,
sadok
I definitely agree that this class has put me to work! I learned a lot as well especially through the video interviews. I am super shy so learning to approach people confidently was really helpful. You should feel confident in your accomplishments great job!!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I LOVE the picture you used. I legitmately laughed at it! Secondly, I too enjoyed this course. It was very different from any other course that I had, but in a good way. It forced me to be consistently creative and focused more on changing the way that I think as opposed to throwing a bunch of facts at me and expecting me to memorized them for an exam. Lastly, I do not think I am an entrepreneur per say either. I think I need to go out and actually start my own venture to justifiably call myself that. http://abraham-khalil.blogspot.com/2016/04/final-reflection.html
ReplyDelete