Sunday, February 21, 2016

Free Money

1) I will try to give away the money after one of my classes.
2) I will just approach the people who are lingering and packing up their stuff still. I think students will know I am not super weird and may need an extra dollar.
3) I'm just going to ask them if they want a dollar.
4) I really want to see if people will take the money without a reason at all to take it so I am not going to have much conversation with them. I will tell them it's a free dollar without any obligations but nothing more.
5) Out of five attempts, I predict I will be able to successfully give away about 2 dollar bills.

Giving away the dollar was exactly as hard as I thought it would be. I knew that people would think I was weird or wanted something in return for the dollar. I thought the one where the interviewee offered me the doughnut in return for the dollar was an accurate representation of how most people would react. After asking 5 people, only one person agreed to take my free dollar. I thought that students would be a little more willing to accept the dollar than they were.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Katie, I had a lot of trouble giving away money as well. I agree that most people feel obligated to give something in return or they think that it is weird that somebody is just giving away free money. Most of the people I asked thought that there was some kind of catch and they were nervous to take my money. If you want to check out my post, you can find it at http://alexbeyrent.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    unfortunately i did not get around to doing this assignment so I can only imagine how difficult it would have been. I thought it was really funny how the first girl kind of freaked out about the dollar. This makes so many things very clear in regards to how skeptical some people are. I am glad that you were able to capture this! I think you did a great job overall. I honestly really enjoyed your post. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie
    The second attempt to give away the dollar was hilarious! I can't tell you how hard I laughed. I do think the purpose of the exercise was to engage in such a conversation so they would be propelled to take the dollar, otherwise you will get exactly what you got - strange looks and an even stranger situation with the donut guy.

    Isabella said it makes people skeptical just giving away a dollar and I would agree if it isn't prefaced with a reason or a hook to get them engaged. It was funny though to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie
    The second attempt to give away the dollar was hilarious! I can't tell you how hard I laughed. I do think the purpose of the exercise was to engage in such a conversation so they would be propelled to take the dollar, otherwise you will get exactly what you got - strange looks and an even stranger situation with the donut guy.

    Isabella said it makes people skeptical just giving away a dollar and I would agree if it isn't prefaced with a reason or a hook to get them engaged. It was funny though to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video. I would have never thought that giving away money would be hard but it seems like an awkward situation. The second part was funny with the doughnut guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The doughnut video was hilarious! I agree with your perception of the masses though, the doughnut man's reaction is the most likely response since our economy is very much drive with a "this fore that" mindset. As much as you may not have thought about it at the time, just giving someone money without reason is fairly shady. Overall, great job on your videos!

    Check out my post here:
    http://flytyguy.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katie!

    I think you had a great approach to the exercise! Deciding to use a consumer who you know probably could use the dollar (Us students) was really smart, and always entertaining. audience targeting is key in entrepreneurship and business in general! Great way to practice and put yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete