2) Income inequality is one of the world's largest problems in developed and developing countries alike. The world's poorest often have no way out of poverty due to lack of opportunity, support, and aide. The biggest solution is to offer better improved education, social welfare programs, improved tax policy, and job opportunities.
3) Health care is a major world problem because many developing countries do not have the resources and the people do not have the finances to have adequate health care. Third world countries are constantly battling infectious diseases and don't have the resources to contain the problem. Typically the better the economy the better the healthcare, but in a world where about half the world lives in poverty this trend is unacceptable. The solution to this problem is far beyond the scope of most peoples control. It begins with poverty issues. Health care problems are often aided by medical missions and hospitals being built in developing nations, but the problem is still there with funding and availability to all people.
4) Access to Education is a huge problem people in America often overlook. After going to Haiti and seeing how many children do not have the opportunity to go to school, I realized how stuck there society is because of their lack of education. Less than half of Haitian kids have the opportunity to go to school, and of those only 30% of Haitian kids will make it past the 3rd grade. We often forget how important education is because every single child is required to go to school in the United States. Kids who don't go to school are stuck in the life they live. Solutions to education in developing nations is mostly funding. Kids in Haiti dream of going to school they just don't have access to education, so we need to rise up teachers and school supplies.
5) Religious freedom restrictions are among one of the world's biggest problems because around 5.3 billion people suffer harsh treatment for their religion of choice. In America we often take for granted that we can worship God, multiple gods, or no god at all. I can't imagine living in a place where I cannot worship my God freely, better yet be punished for it. The fact is 76% of people live in places with high restrictions on religion. The solution to this problem starts with better people in leadership.
6) Terrorism is probably the world's biggest problem people associate most with right now. People are currently living in fear of ISIS. Wether they are canceling study abroad plans, avoiding airplanes, or just acting a fool, people are terrified to live their lives. The solution to this problem goes back to corrupt leaders, and we can aide in this by no longer supporting dictators who fund terrorism.
7) The widespread use and manufacturing of bombs has become a major issue because they have become a much more normal weapon used in war and terrorist attacks. Bombs are a weapon of mass destruction and have the ability to kill so many people at once. The solution to this problem starts with great leaders, and could possibly entail a ban of the production of anything used in lethal weapons.
8) The lack of social justice is a problem we see often in America and in other places around the world as well. Although many would like to think racism is a thing of the past, it is something we still see in the work force, in police interactions, and politics. The solution to this problem is a bit more complicated because it takes a change of heart, but it also starts with the people in charge of hiring, acceptance offices at our universities, etc.
9) Corrupt government employees around the world is a huge problem. Change typically starts with the government because they have the funding, the leadership, and the resources to make things happen. We are so lucky to live in a place where our government is working to make our lives better because in so many other countries the government is the main cause of their oppression. The solution to this is the emergence of democracies world wide.
Hey Katie! I agreed with a lot of the problems that we have today too! In fact I had #1, 4, and 6 in my list as well, although with the clean water I also included poverty and hunger because I thought it fit and they all go together in some way in most parts of the world. The world, in my opinion, has many issues that needs to be combated because in the end, we are all human and humans shouldn't have to suffer like this on a daily basis. There were a lot of good choices that I didn't think of that you had, such as religious freedom, adoption rates declining, social justice, and even income inequality. You had a very good list and I enjoyed reading it! Here is the link to mine if you want to take a look!! : http://stefanent3003.blogspot.com/2016/01/worlds-biggest-problems.html
ReplyDeleteHey Katie! Great list, I agree with you on almost all of the problems you outlined. 2) and 8) were really similar to the problems I identified in my list. It was really difficult for me to look for implementable solutions to these global problems. I wonder if you felt the same way. To offer some constructive criticism, my only comment is that for the solutions to some of your problems, I think you may have a Western-centric view of the world that identifies the US as the main force trying to solve these problems. And, though I completely agree with the problems you listed, I've noticed that we as Americans tend to view the world as being below our standard of living. I think everywhere needs better education but I also think that Americans saying what other people need to learn or that we need to raise the way people live isn't always helpful to solving world issues. That's my take on things! If you interested in checking out my list, here's the link: http://cassandrathe.blogspot.com/2016/01/so-what-are-worlds-biggest-problems.html
ReplyDelete