Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Top 5 World Problems

1) Access to clean water
2) Access to education
3) Terrorism 
4) Income inequality
5) Social Justice

1)  The biggest solution to the wage gap is to offer better improved education, social welfare programs, improved tax policy, and job opportunities.  
2) The solution to education in developing nations is mostly funding. We would also need to rise up teachers and school supplies. 
3)  One solution to the clean water problem is affordable water sanitation systems in third world countries. 
4)The solution to terrorism goes back to corrupt leaders, and we can aide in this by no longer supporting dictators who fund terrorism. 
5) The solution to our social justice problem is a bit more complicated because it takes a change of heart, but it also starts with the people in charge of hiring,  acceptance offices at our universities, etc.

I selected access to clean water as my top problem because water is such an essential part of life and according to the UN "783 million people do not have access to clean water and almost 2.5 billion do not have access to adequate sanitation." These numbers are unacceptable because people need water to live. 
It was hard for me to rank the rest because they all have a great impact on peoples lives, but I decided education is the second largest problem because it could be the solution to a lot of the other problems. 

I chose the wage gap as the most feasible problem to fix because there are smaller implementable steps countries can follow to work on it. I feel like it can be a more step by step solution, rather than just one big solution. I also think America is leading the way with our social welfare programs, and teaching other nations how to start working toward a smaller wage gap. 
It was difficult to decide which solutions I thought were feasible because all of them seem like huge obstacles, but with education and clean water I feel like the biggest thing is funding. 


2 comments:

  1. Hey Katie,
    I believe that all of your top five world problems are interrelated in regards to poverty. A poverty stricken country would not have the resources to meet all the basic needs of its citizens. Clean drinking water would be a rare commodity because the government can not afford to set up purification facilities or import water. Moreover, countries might not be able to afford the proper amount of schools to educate young people which can cause a high level of illiteracy. Illiteracy often results in a few people holding all the wealth and causing social injustice. Finally, people will become desperate because they have nothing to lose and will start turning to radical movements. I believe if we began to alleviate global poverty then we would start seeing a difference in all of the other problems.
    Here is what I talked about:
    http://goobirs.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-5-world-problems-week-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that lack of access to clean drinking water is one of the worlds biggest problems. We should invest in water sanitation for third world countries as this will help reduce the spread of disease and increase overall health of struggling people.

    ReplyDelete